Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My first wind-ow

What do you do with interests in classic american sign painting, repurposing/reusing vintage materials, drinking, and the blues?
Well I guess ya just strap on your suspenders, throw on your hat, straddle up to the easel, tune the stereo to Phono 1 and get to work.
My first blues interests were folks such as Robert Johnson, Furry Lewis, Elmore James, Lil Walter, Champion Jack Dupree, Muddy Waters, and plenty more.
I found myself drawing out classic American sign styles while listening to and watching old Smithsonian film recordings of these talented musicians.

Design and fonts are also a big interest of mine. Say a word and a font or letter style will pop into my head. As a student of conceptual art, casually painting blues lyrics and incorporating font styles and small design elements felt refreshing. Simply making something that feels and looks good is satisfying.

I use 1 Shot paint; it's an oil based enamel specifically used for sign painting. Black is usually 2 coats and the gold is 2-3 coats. I paint from the backside of the windows, in reverse of whatever I am painting, to achieve a slick surface on the front glass next to the rough vintage wood. Most of the windows are from 1920s Chicago bungalows.

Well, back to it. What's better than drinking whiskey, paintin', listening to some of the greatest musicians and lyricists of American culture?

'Whiskey' is approximatey 30in x 19in. (SOLD)


No comments:

Post a Comment