Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Whiskey neat is a wonderful thing but what about on the rocks?

Champion Jack Dupree says it well in an unreleased recording (honestly, I do not remember where or how I heard this song originally... I wrote down the lyrics and jack's name one late night last winter sitting in a buddy's apartment sippin' on stouts... Anyway, I have searched for this song and have found others' versions of it that seem to be later. For credit reasons, I do not know who wrote or performed it first. My interest was in Jack Dupree's version.)

I GET MY WATER FROM THE ROCKS IN MY DRINK (SOLD!)

In progress

Detail after gold















Champion Jack Dupree doesn't have a birthplace or state of origin... no one knows. As a young orphan he was taken in by folks down in Louisiana and grew to be known as a New Orleans/Chicago Blues artist. Many of his songs talk about drinking, late night carousing, womanizin', lovin', and even drug takin'. But, Dupree was not a heavy drinker, was faithful to his wife, and did not abuse drugs. He always said he knew what the people wanted to hear. A person is in the bar listening to the blues for a reason, one of which maybe he could sing about despite experience.
One of my favorites.

Some videos of Jack's well known tunes:
"Bad Whiskey and Wild Women" Youtube: "Bad Whiskey and Wild Women"
"Junker's Blues" Youtube: Junker's Blues




Approx. 23in x 49in  (SOLD)

No comments:

Post a Comment