Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Vagabond

Here I am, in my suspenders, brown paper hat, denim shirt on cuffed jeans, 1950s aluminum eyeglasses, staring off into the distance while sitting on my leather suitcase while my green military backpack hangs off my shoulders.
Psh.
Might as well be in a Jack Kerouac novel. Though...
I must say, I would love to hop a freight train or two before I kick the bucket.
What a life it can be. Living off the land. Meeting new people everyday. Being alone, just you and your imagination. Seeing faces of the American landscape in a way not many ever will.
Drinkin' port and whiskey by a fire. Cozyin' up in a warm bag to stare at the stars. Awww, all those Kerouac characters must not have had any jobs.

I just recently took a drive through the most exciting face of the American landscape... Indiana and Illinois. Yee haw.
I went for the yearly September visit to see the ol' family for some birthdays. Instead of rockin' out to some good ol blues and NPR for the drive, I decided to renew my Chicago Public Library card and download (I know, I never thought I'd say it) some audio books.
The selection was a bit slim and Jack Kerouac's The Dharma Bums ended up on my ipod.
A life of adventure, feeling carefree, and exploration (with some drunkenness and creative soul searching thrown in there) isn't a bad thing.


Here's to the vagabonds. My favorite so far. Approx 32in x 24in. - SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment