Friday, January 20, 2012

It has been snowing nearly all night and all day.

 You know how one can get stuck? Stuck inside, stuck unmoving, stuck... Well, the snow is... really very nice honestly. But, I just wasn't ready. Here were are in January in Chicago and I was able to stand outside and paint in a light jacket... with SUNSHINE for goodness sake. It was just wonderful.

It reminds me of New Orleans. Yes it does. Mm hm.

So what does a bean do on a stuck snow day?

Well, my first move was to get up outta the bed (my office as I rather call it), come downstairs, and immediately listen to some records.
A lil Elmore James, a lil Anita O'Day, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday...
I am laying on the floor wearing red suspenders, headphones,
in a sea of cardstock covers
and paper sleeves.
I'm hittin' all the bargain bin records here but then I toss on ol' Louis Armstrong.
"Satchmo and Friends" was 99 cents...(again with the bargain bin)
and I remembered what a damn fine song he sings
bout missin' New Orleans.
Do you know it?

Have a listen here and tell me
you don't hear the sad desperation
for the big easy! (Do you know what it means to miss) "New Orleans"

Also, a shot I took while in NOLA of the Armstrong park under construction, 2010. 35mm B&W film.


Well Beaner whatcha got to show for ya self?
Here it is. "To Miss New Orleans" 25in x 31in SOLD







(It is still snowing)
(And it ain't the good kind either. Not the kind ya can make an igloo outta)

(An igloo whiskey bar)

(I think I'm onto something)

No comments:

Post a Comment